Friday, July 04, 2008

Grow - Edition #7

So I have had some great studies in the past 48 hours, including Bible study, some sermons on the ipod, and a biography of Tozer. I am currently feeling challenged that I am not spending enough time pursuing my Saviour - through prayer, study, and living. Let me share with you a few things that have caused me to grow in this thirst for more of Him.

Tozer book. First, this guy was crazy radical about Bible study and prayer. He spent most mornings (like four hours a day) in prayer and study. He recognized that He needs to pursue God. As you know, Pursuit of God is one of my three favorite books (along with Cost of Discipleship and Money, Possessions and Eternity). So this is the story of how Tozer wrote the book. He had to go on a train ride from Chicago to Texas. At about 7pm, he decides he needs to start writing (not planned). He asks the train porter for a glass of water and some crackers. By 7am when the train rolled in to the station in Texas, Pursuit of God was written. This guy starts scribbling on paper, and twelve hours later he is done writing one of the best books of the past one hundred years. Clearly, God had anointed Him that night, but Tozer was working off of nearly 40 years of prayer and Bible study. That causes me to want to know Him so much more. So here are some great quotes by Tozer on the biography.
  • Save me from the curse that lies dark across the face of the modern clergy, the curse of compromise, of imitation, of professionalism. (note: this is but one of many great quotes from this open letter he wrote when he was ordained as a pastor)
  • Tens of thousands of believers who pride themselves in their understanding of Romans and Ephesians cannot conceal the sharp spiritual contradiction that exists between their hearts and the heart of Paul. That difference may be stated this way: Paul was a seeker and a finder and a seeker still. They seek and find and seek no more. After "accepting" Christ they tend to substitute logic for life and doctrine for experience. For them the truth becomes a veil to hide the face of God; for Paul it was a door into His very Presence.
  • Memorize Scripture, pray over it, and then seek God's help to enter into the truth revealed.
  • If you want to be happy, never ask for the gift of discernment. (note: this made me laugh a lot)
  • I know I don't know, so I keep on trying to find out

So I was reading Alcorn's blog two days ago, and he gave a review of a C.J. Mahaney sermon that might have been the most glowing review I have ever read about a sermon. Given how much I respect Alcorn, I had to listen to it. I have to say that this sermon gave me a fresher perspective on the crucifixion than I have ever had before. I better recognized how damned I am, but for my Saviour. Mahaney has clearly poured over Mark 15 hundreds of times in his lifetime. Similar to Tozer, Mahaney put together this sermon only a couple hours before he presented it to these young college students. Once again, this sermon made me want to pursue my Saviour more, through time studying and meditating on His word. I encourage you to listen to this sermon if you can make the time.

Natalie is reading a book right now that speaks of the impact parents have on their kids. She has shared some sound bites with me, and this one particularly stuck out - President Eisenhower's mother had memorized the entire New Testament, and she frequently referenced this Scripture in guiding her son. That really encouraged me as I am trying very hard to consistently study Scripture one-on-one with my kids each night. I really want to build into myself and my kids through Scripture...sola scriptura.

Then I get an e-mail from my brother in Christ Michael this afternoon that lists out a guy's suggested reading with your kids by grade from first through twelfth and beyond. Gotta love it when a guy is recommending Grudem in seventh grade! I ordered three of the first grade books to work through with my kids during the balance of the summer.

Lord, I want to know You in a way that I know You want me to know You. You have given me life everlasting, You have given me Your Spirit, You have softened my wicked heart. Lord, I still don't pursue you as I should, and that is crazy...even scandalous. Tonight, I want to know You more intimately. In the words of William Culbertson, I want to "be faithful in the human side of the talents You gave me...and know the presence and power of the Spirit of God." I want to understand the "scream of the damned" that I am guilty of, been freed of, yet don't appreciate as I should. Amen.

Side note - Wes, Spurgeon would be proud of me tonight...if you know what I mean :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Wes said...

Spurgeon, nothing . . . I'm proud of you!!! May have to join you sometime this weekend. Got one sitting on my dresser I'm dying to smoke.

Great post, too, by the way. Just listened to CJ's sermon while mowing the lawn this morning. Great stuff. Love you bro! Welcome back. Praying for your time with family.

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home